1. To check your network activity in the Network and Sharing Center - verify network connection is on:
· Network and Sharing Center is where you get a bird's eye view of your machine's relationship with the network. Access the Window's Network Sharing Center feature by clicking on the "Start" icon located on the bottom left of your screen. Click "Control Panel" and select "Network and Sharing Center.
· Here is an expanded view of a Vista Network and Sharing Center. It showing that route from the Vista machine to the internet is 'Not connected'. If you have a red cross, 'Click to diagnose' appears. In real life clicking would activate the troubleshooting wizard. See below.
· The Diagnostics Tool would give you a resolution to your problem.
· See below what happens, it found that the issue is with the network adaptor and it is giving us an option to fix the problem and it is fixing the problem by itself.
2.To make sure the network adapter is working correctly:
· Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Expand the Network Adapters section, right-click your adapter, and then click Properties.Under Device status, check to see that the device is working properly.If not, download and install the latest version of the network adapter driver from the manufacturer's website.
3.To remove proxy settings if any:
· Open internet explorer.
· Under "Tools" in the browser tool bar select "Internet Options".
· In the "Internet Options" window that pops up, click the "Connections" tab at the top.
· Click "LAN Settings" near the bottom of the "Connections" section.
· If the "Proxy server" checkbox is marked with a check, click it to deselect/uncheck it and select the option "Automatically detect settings".
4.To run IE in no add-on mode:
Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
If this fixes the issue, then go to Tools -> Manage Add-ons and enable the add-ons one by one to find which one was causing the problem.